Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Miguel G. Viramontes "Mike"



So...  I'm starting the year off on the 2nd instead of the 1st. January 2nd is an especially memorable and bittersweet day for me.  My grandfather passed away 21 years ago on this day.  I was 10 years old (now you know my age).  I had an amazing relationship with my grandfather.  HE was AMAZING.  A true character.  The kindest person.  Super talkative.  He was not prejudice.  He'd talk to strangers on the street about life about anything.  About what he learned through his triumphs and mistakes.  Would ALWAYS stop his car for ANYONE trying to cross the street and if it were an elderly person or mother with small children, he'd get out of the car and help them - literally stop traffic. He loved the Dodgers and pistachio ice cream.  He'd always take me to Baskin Robbins.  He'd hide candy in a special drawer for me, make the "shhh" sign with his finger to his lips so I'd know there was a treat waiting for me.  It was our secret, though I'm sure my grandma knew.  He had this big tricycle and he'd attach my red Radio Flyer to the back and take me for rides around the neighborhood.  He'd let me put hair ties in his hair (he had amazing hair). Would watch me do hand stands.  ALWAYS let me have my pick of what to watch on tv.  We'd watch the 3 Stooges and The Little Rascles.  And The Munsters.  He'd drive me to school and pick me up.  He was the first person to tell me my little sister had been born (we didn't know she was gonna be a girl).  He loved to sing and play guitar.  His favorite song was "It's A Wonderful World".  He loved Louis Armstrong.  He ALWAYS dressed up.  He made goofy faces.  He loved old cars.  He was always in a good mood.  Always had a smile on his face.  I guess having a second chance at life made him not take it for granted.  Some of my best memories of my childhood are because of him.  I will always remember him and be so grateful that I had such an amazing person in my life, though short lived.  

Thinking of him on this day reminds me not to take life for granted.  To be thankful for what I have,  to remember to see the positive.  To be kind to others.  To be more patient.  And last but not least, to be giving and forgiving.


My old back yard in SP on Ojai Road







Told ya he made goofy faces - and had GREAT hair!!



No comments:

Post a Comment